Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Back To My Roots

This morning I got up around 6:30 to take a drive a few miles up the road to Bedford Hills New York. What is there? . . . Goats. And lots of them.

by 8:30 this morning I had helped milk, feed and clean 37 goats. I began working on a farm when I was 10 years old, and just as I mentioned a few days ago, my heart will never leave the farm life. I respect and love everything about nature, and the farms that I have worked on. Everything from the environment that we are blessed enough to be surrounded by, to the animals who make me giggle every minute I am with them; even if I have been working for house and am hot as hell.
Lauren and a few of the lively Does

Lauren's new farm is known for its production of goat cheese, and other dairy products. Her job is to care for the animals and milk them everyday. The milk is then brought up to the top of the farm where it is processed and made into whatever product they'll have. I miss being able to hold something in my hand that I have had a hand in making. That may be one of the reasons that I love cooking so much. I actually have a tangible product to hold.

Getting to that finished product, is the reason that it is so rewarding to finally see it complete. Let me tell you, they make milking cows and goats look a lot easier in the movies. It has probably been 5 years since I have had my hand on teat. The little ones are slippery, and the bigger ones hurt your hand muscles after a while. . . (Slight pause for immature laughter, welcomes)

I was almost finished, my last goat, on the last squeeze, decided that it would be a good idea to sneeze. As her head went down into her feed bucket, her leg went up, back down, and right into the fresh milk. This resulted in a less then welcomed milk bath. For the rest of the morning I could feel the sun  turning the fresh dairy on my clothes and any other area that I had missed in my futile attempt at washing up.

Later in the afternoon my parents and I drove to a restaurant that they had been taking me to since I was 6 months old, maybe even younger. Swanky Franks is a little run-down, mobil home of a restaurant that serves the best hot dogs I have ever had. Though, my mind may be biased in the fact that walking in their feels like a second home. It always had. It took us almost 17 years to figure out why we felt so comfortable there, and the answer came, in Lauren. We had known Lauren for years and unexplainably felt immediately as if she was family. We are all very calm and open people and enjoy very simple forms of entertainment as well as just, loving life. One day we were talking about Swanky's and it came up that her Grandparents actually owned the place! Members of her family have been working there for years, most of whom we knew by name from being frequent customers.

What can we learn here? Be open, be nice, be real. I know I have said all of these things before but it is more than true, proving it to me everyday. By being ourselves, and being polite, we learn about people. Even the smallest things like holding a door for someone, or learning the name of the waitress who is always there at your favorite spot. The little things, keep us going. The little things, are what we look forward to when there seems to be nothing worth looking forward for. Does not have to cost anything but a little time, or maybe a hot dog.
My mom and I love going out for day trips together and a few weeks back we headed to the Maritime Aquarium. She bought a membership because it was only a few dollars more than our admission would be together, and it allowed us to get in today (and every other day) no charge. We decided that since we were already in the area, we could stop by and just say hey to the seals, stingrays and meerkats. We walked around for about an hour and for the cost of a few miles in gas, laughed and teased while gathering ideas for our next little production projects. We are always looking forward to taking a new step into something we've never tried, always while holding onto those things that mean the most to us.

Family, friends and a reason to wake up every morning. Keep yourself going!! And look to those you love for a little push every now and then ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment