Monday, October 4, 2010

As the leaves fall

Fall is my absolute FAVORITE time of the year!

I have never been to the Big E before but I this year, I finally made it there! Kate and I left bright and early to head up to the fairgrounds, parking in a lot just outside that supported a local HS Girls team. The goal of the day . . . FOOD! and we definitely hit that. However, the first even of the day was to challenge the US military. The Marines had a booth set up with a pull-up bar to see how long one could hold themselves up. Certain times, meant certain prizes. Kate won a hat (but took a lanyard) with 48 seconds, and I got a shirt with 61 seconds. The Marines looked surprised that we could hold ourselves up that long.

From there we walked over to a "BMX Show" which contained a few small jumps and older guys looking to keep their youth spirits up rolling around. It was still fun to watch though. It just so happened, that the Big E has an "Avenue of States" which is basically a house that is built for each of the New England Sates that features products, art and other points from each. As we walked we could taste New Hampshire jam, Maine lobster or Rhode Island Salt Water Taffy. This was probably my favorite part of the event.

The entertainment of the day however, came from Kate's determination to get me into the Circus event, knowing full well that I am terrified of clowns. After waiting in line for 20 minutes only to have them tell us that the circus was filled to capacity, she pulled me along to a back entrance where we out ran a security rent-a-cop and filled into the crowd of more legal attendees. While we laughed, she covered my eyes during the clown points, and allowed me to see things more my style as white tigers, magicians and pups entered the stage. We walked around for a few more hours, buying her a new piercing and me a bag o kettle corn. Just as I mentioned that it was strange we hadn't run into anyone we knew, I was tackled from behind by Kristin and Nicole, two of our friends from school.

We left the Big E stuffed.

The following weekend, we kept the Fall Dreams alive. Saturday morning my mom, dad and I got up early to again hit the field of Rentchler for UCONN vs. Buffalo. The boys came down from UCONN and we all ate to the brim Cheeseburgers, sausages and more deviled eggs than an human should consume! Alex and Sal joined us in the stands again, as did Alex's mom, dad and little sister, Anna, who will most likely be joining the UCONN crew next year as a freshman. Go UCONN!!

One of the few photos since we all forgot cameras. Yay for iphones!
Kate, Me and Alice
Natalie, Kate and Alice, new to the crew, picked me up from the Rent and we all headed down to Durham for the fair that started it all for me. When I was in high school I was involved in the Agricultural Science program at Westhill High School. One of our field trips that year was to the Durham fair so see the farm life, and or course, to fair-it-up! Since then, I had loved fairs and made it to Durham most years. Kate met up with her friend Megan at a point and we all wandered around getting corn on the cob, birch beer and jumbo fries. After this season, I am going to need some major working out :) Totally worth it. The next day the three of us again teamed up for apple picking in Ashford CT. Since we picked more apples than we needed, I was able to bring a few home to my parents for their enjoyment as well.

The leaves continue to fall, and I am going to continue to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment