Monday, October 4, 2010

Passion knows no limits

I grew up on a wildlife preserve, on the water, and behind an editing computer. These are three very different places, and yet each of them holds a special place in my heart. Today I joined Natalie for a third trip to the Norwalk Maritime Aquarium this year. I love teaching so it was fun for me to walk around with her and give little silly facts about the animals or research that may not have been posted on the signs.

The lovely little Meerkats were at it again, rough housing and pushing each other around in and out of the food bowl. There was one however, who seems to be a little different than the rest. I almost always find him sitting atop one of the logs with a seemingly pondering look on his face. Today he was looking straight up at the ceiling and just staring. It was adorable!

We moved on to the stingray touch-tank where I love watching the expressions of new-comers when the rays first glide on their fingertips. The feeling is softer and smoother than one thinks they would be and the recipient of the touch always gains a big smile :)

A few minutes later, I was the one with a confused look on my face as I could not find the source of a high-pitched sound near one of the frog tanks.

I will always love this place and everything that they do. Their conservation efforts help to keep the Long Island Sound beautiful and maintain the safety of all of its living creatures. I can not express to you how much the LIS means to me and I will continue to support and participate in all that I can to allow for its survival. We need to work on realizing what we do everyday, and how it effects the areas around us. Humans can be very selfish and worse, apathetic when it comes to our surrounding environments.

Please visit these sites to read more on what is happening, what is being done, and what YOU can do. You would be amazed at the little things that can help contribute to the problems, and the even smaller things we can do to help make it better.

http://www.maritimeaquarium.org/lis_conservation.html
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces

No comments:

Post a Comment