I like learning and I love exposure. Experiences are what make a life great. Getting to know new people, new events and new skills. This week for learning? Well, I have already done a lot this weekend, but my dad and I decided a few weeks ago so take a class to get our pistol permits. He grew up in Pennsylvania and had exposure to guns his entire life. The closest I have ever really gotten are arcade games and shooting archery for most of my life.
I have no real desire to carry a gun, or even own one, but I think that it is a good idea to have the knowledge just in case for any reason I was put in a situation where it was necessary to know. I looked forward to learning the basics of cleaning, firing and storing a firearm. Unfortunately, that was not exactly what we found.
Instead we entered a room with a few wanna-be redneck-like individuals who though that the bigger the gun, the bigger their penis must be. I am serious! The egos flying around were insane, and to top it off, most of them had never fired a gun; though they liked to make it seem as though they had. One guy was so unintelligent that he needed the questions and answers read aloud in order for him to pass the test, and of course, he was the loudest on in the group talking about cowboy tactics and all of the people he knew in the police department. He was so loud about wanting to buy a revolver, because it is easier to reload than a magazine. He also didn't hear a great deal of the information (what little they gave us) because he was worried about what he was going to write on the "comments" section of the application.
The instructor told us we could just write "its my right," but apparently this was WAY to much of a concept for him to understand.
It is amazing to me that the instructor just passes everyone who comes in, without even making them pass a valid exam. It is scary to think that these people are actually legally able to walk around with a concealed weapon when I outshot them (a small girl who has never handled a gun before). They each took two rounds, then left. My father and I on the other hand, took over 15 and held a competition between us to improve our shots.
Egos only interrupt one's ability to put aside pride and actually learn something. Let me admit it, I need help, and I need advice. I need someone to show me. . . is that so hard to say? I need help. Thank you.

No comments:
Post a Comment