Saturday, September 11, 2010

Did I really Graduate?

So the morning after the fabulous Goat Trip, I am back in the car again at 8:15 in the morning. I guess 14+ hours the day before wasn't enough :/

Mama and Papa before the game
Either way, we met up with my lil bro Tucker and buddy Natalie just outside of the stadium and eased our way into tailgating by 10 am . . . and when my family does food, they DO FOOD!!! While my mom and I were playing with goats, my dad was apparently busy at the supermarket and in the kitchen making Deviled Eggs and loading up on more food then 5 people could possibly eat.

The way that I see it, food is a social event. We always bring more than necessary because we never know who we are going to run into and I would love to be able to offer them a cold Mikes or a burger. It just so happened that Tuck's new roommates happened to be walking by and they ended up tailgating with us all morning. That's right, I have the "cool" family.

We really do just like to be open and inviting. The more people we are nice to in life, the better we feel. My childhood friend Alex and her boyfriend Sal were also inside the stadium and when we saw each other for the first time in a few months, it was like we'd never been apart. Being kind and open, allows us to meet our friends like that.

Sal, Alex, Me and Nat
Our TRUE friends. The ones that you know you can call at 3 am on a Wed, even i you have moved away and haven't talked to them in months. Alex and I don't hang out on a regular basis, though we'd like to, life interrupts. So we stay in touch and keep open lines so that when those days or nights come, we can begin again right where we left off.

Nat and I threw around the ball for a bit (until I knocked over the Goldfish bag) while mom and dad sat around an overstuffed grill. We stuffed ourselves tot he brim then proceeded to make new "friends" by handing out the leftovers to a nearby tailgate group of seemingly first-timers (couldn't correctly set up beer pong).

Rentschler Field
The game itself was uneventful, and by that I mean we won 62 - 3, but the time we spent walking the stairs, finding the seats, people-watching the drunks and meeting up with old friends is not something I will soon forget. The weather was perfect and the food was fantastic, beat only by the company that I had to share it with. Something as simply as a college football game can bring together family in a way that no movie theater or other semi-social event ever could. We walked the halls of Cabellas for a bit and then decided to end the day by visiting my Grandparents at my Grandma's annual DAR fundraiser.
At the DAR Fundraiser

Now this food, had something to be desired haha. But on the plus side, I love seeing my grandparents. Being close to them since they moved from Long Island to CT seven years ago has been one of the greatest blessings of my life. They are both such interesting people and I have learned so much from them over the years. They are coming up on their 50th Wedding Anniversary and we are already planning the party :) 50 years together and still going, and growing strong. Now THAT my friends, is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment